They say that what is in girls handbags can reveal a lot about her. This does not wholly convince me but what I do know is the content of my bag has changed over the years.
Pre-children I used to have all the typical girly things in my bag. A hairbrush, little deodorant, make-up, girl’s supplies (for those sneak up on you emergencies), purse, key, mobile, notepad, diary, pen, umbrella, and a book…usually one I was devouring on my commute to work.
Not only that but I was a lover of handbags. I loved matching bags to outfits and making it part of my whole ensemble.
I could also make all that I needed squeeze into the tiniest of bags on a night out.
Today this is what my handbag contains.
A toy car, some chocolate coins, baby wipes, spare pants (the kids, not mine!), my purse, keys, mobile, nappies, receipts, a pen, a diddy hairbrush and some lip balm!
Now what does this tell you?
- I have no time to reapply any make up during the course of the day!
- Potty training is still clearly in process and toilet stops are not for me to ‘freshen up!” but for wee wee stops and wet pant changes!
- No book! My love of reading has diminished along with my time.
- Deodorant – well clearly I must just smell. That or it reflects my lack of proper exercise (although I do walk to the pre-school and back twice a day!)
- No umbrella – you can’t push a double buggy, hold the hand of a 3-year-old and an umbrella. We just get wet!
- Diary? That would mean a social life surely?
- Chocolate coins – bribery and Mummy sanity!
My handbag now has to be fairly ample in size, gets kicked about and thrown under the buggy and totally used and abused. I don’t have the time, or even one in good enough condition to bother changing it over to match my outfit (of Jeans and a top). Is this painting a glamorous picture of motherhood?
However just because handbags for me are not a priority these days, does not mean they are not loved, admired and looked at with envy any time I am in a department store. I will still get my few handbags out and spend ages choosing which one to take on the rare occasions I go out. Sometimes a whole outfit can be chosen around which handbag I am in love with.
Just for points of note…it is my 30th birthday this year…. if you need ideas!