All three of my children have the potential to be picky, but my youngest is exactly like I was as a child. It is all to do with texture rather than taste and I often find he will pick about at things assuming he does not like them.
Sometimes I persevere and ensure he eats three more mouthfuls of broccoli and sometimes I just want to cook something and for them to eat it and enjoy it without any battles. What’s more, I would love that meal to be more than fish fingers! Something healthy and nutritious and I have found my solution. It is my pasta sauce of which I am very proud. All three absolutely wolf it down, with no fuss, often asking for more and it contains five vegetables! When they have it once a week I just breathe easy a bit.
So for this sauce you will need
1 courgette (large)
1 clove of garlic
2 small carrots
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tin of sweetcorn
1 stock cube (vegetable - and you can get a low salt one if you prefer)
1. Prepare the onion into small chopped pieces and pop into a heated frying pan with a little oil
2. Once softened add the carrot peeled and chopped and the Courgette.Add a chopped clove of garlic Cook for a further five minutes.
3. Add one tin of chopped tomatoes, a little hot water, and the sweetcorn and stir.
4. Add the stock cube, a shake of italian seasoning, a large squirt of tomato sauce for sweetness, a teaspoon of tomato puree and stir. Let it simmer for a further 10 minutes or until the veg have softened. Add you pasta to a pan of hot water at this time.
5. Place it all in a food processor or blender and blitz!
6. Serve the pasta, add two dessert spoons of sauce (this is plenty and you can freeze the leftovers into portions), stir and add some grated cheddar cheese to the top.
Of course you can eat the sauce as a rustic chopped vegetable sauce if you prefer, but for the non-picking free meal it gives me, it is so worth the blitz. Sometimes I think it does not matter what form the food comes in as long as they enjoy it.
Hope you find this meal as helpful as me. I always cook it when the kids have friends round and the friends love it so much their Mum’s often ask me for the recipe!
Do take a look at My Family Cooking page for other recipes!