Elevenses is a word I remember from my childhood and one I will alway associate with my mother. She was an avid baker and the house was always full of cakes, jam tarts and biscuits.
I know that we are all set and focused on eating healthily these days but I think that the philosophy ‘everything in moderation’ should apply and if you have a good breakfast , a filling lunch and a balanced dinner then an elevenses treat to keep you going is certainly allowed.
We have just started using this tradition in our house and the children get very excited about elevenses time. It is also a good way to refuel them before lunch and keep them going. Funnily enough, a lot of people think I am a bit mad when I say elevenses as they don’t know what it is, and my hubby had no idea what it was either before he knew me.
Elevenses is not only a chance to get a yummy treat but also a great way to get the family involved in the kitchen. So I shall put forward an Elevenses idea for you and that it the scrumdilliumptious Triple Chocolate Brownies!
All the kidiwinks took part and I assure you that three little toddlers assisting is not always the most productive of help but we got there in the end.
You will need:
185g Dark chocolate
210g castor sugar
85g plain flour (sifted)
65g cocoa powder
75g White chocolate
75 Milk Chocolate
A square tin lines with baking paper
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 C or 160 C if it is a fan oven.
2. Melt the chocolate and the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Stir continuously. Chilled out boy loved this bit!
3. Put the eggs and sugar into a bowl and whisk together until fluffy and creamy.
4. Add the melted chocolate mixture and fold through.
5. add the plain flour and the cocoa powder and mix together.
6. Break up the white and milk chocolate pieces and add to the mixture.
7. Pour into the tin and smooth out evenly.
8. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.
So off you go and make a yummy treat. These went down a storm! But remember Elevenses only!